StepI:Introduction:Show some pictures of Hellen Keller:
Do you know who the young lady is? She is a famous lady in USA?
A:Search for answers ( Give the Ss 1-2 minutes to find out the answers)
1.What was Annie sullivan like?
2.How did Hellen hear the cows on the farm?
1. Helen Keller seemed simple-minded ______.
A. after Annie came to stay in her house
B. so she was often made fun of by others
C. because she struggled in a silent, dark world
D. just because she couldn’t hear anything
2.“But this was before Annie Sullivan came to stay.” The underlined word refers to the fact that the writer __________.
A. was struggling in a world of silence and darkness
B. had become deaf and blind at the age of 19
C. could understand why people thought her to be simple-minded
D. must have appeared to be simple
3. Helen Keller came to understand the meaning of the word “water” ___________.
A. in the kitchen B. in a river
C. at the well D. in her own house
4. According to Paragraph 3, the following mistakes EXCEPT “_____” can be found in the picture at the top of the page.
A. Helen was holding a cup, not a jar.
B. Helen and her teacher seemed to be indoors, not at the well.
C. Helen was smiling, not being moved to tears.
D. Annie was holding Helen’s hands, not pumping.
5. Annie put the writer’s hand on her face so that Helen could ____________.
A.know what she looked like
B.connect the movement of her laughing with its meaning
C.laugh in the same way as she did
D.feel how happy she was when teaching Helen
6. What impressed Helen Keller most was Annie’s__________.
A. patience B. wisdom C. imagination D. character
7. Annie Sullivan came to Helen’s house ________.
A. in March, 1887 B. in April, 1887
C. in May, 1887 D. when Helen was 19 months old
Keys:1.C 2.A 3.C 4.C 5.B 6.B 7.A
A. Read paragraph 2 again and fill in blanks without looking at the book.
But this was before Annie sullivan came to stay. She was a lively young woman with patience and imaginaion. A born teacher, she thought she could turn a deaf-blind person into a useful human being.
Read paragraph 3 again and fill in blanks without looking at the book.
What a difficult case I must have been to this young teacher! I remember the many times she tried to spell words into my small hand. But neither words nor letters meant anything to me. I thought her finger movements were some kind of game. But at last, on April 5th ,1887, she reached my understanding. About a month after her arrival, she taught me the word “water”. It happened at the well where I was holding a jar while Annie pumped. As the water flowed onto my hand, she kept spelling w-a-t-e-r into my other hand with her fingers. Suddenly I understood!
Read paragraph 4 again and fill in blanks without looking at the book.
It was the first joy I had known for years.I reached out to Annie’s hand.She understood I was begging for new words, for the names of the things I touched.The words----so full of meaning----flew from her hand to mine. Those first words were to change my world.
1.About a month after her arrival, she taught me the word “water”. It happened at the well where I was holding a jar while Annie pumped. As the water flowed onto my hand, she kept spelling w-a-t-e-r into my other hand with her fingers. Suddenly I understood!
Keep doing sth.连续，持续做
My parents kept encouraging me to study hard.我父母总是鼓励我好好学习。
Keep on doing sth.继续做某事。（含有固执的意味）
Although it was raining hard ,we kept on working.尽管下着大雨，我们仍不停的干着。
# He caught such a bad cold that he _______all morning．他的感冒如此严重，以至于整个上午都在咳嗽。
A.keep coughing B. keep on coughing
2．It was the first joy I had known for years.I reached out to Annie’s hand.She understood I was begging for new words, for the names of the things I touched.The words----so full of meaning----flew from her hand to mine. Those first words were to change my world.
be to do sth.:表预计，表将来。
Those first words were to change my world.最早的这些字注定了要改变我的生活。
be to do sth.还可表示“计划安排”，或“传达命令或解释”
1．He is to stay here till we return. (传达命令或指示)
2．She is to be married next month.（计划安排）
3．The Prime Minister is to make a statement tomorrow. （计划安排）
4． No one is to leave this building without the permission of the police. (传达命令或指示)
# What I am planning to do ________ around the world in a balloon.
A. travelling B. am to travel
C. to travel D. is to travel (答案：D)
3．Next Annie took me by the hand and taught me how to jump. She then immediately spelled the word j-u-m-p for me .
Suddenly somebody took her ______ from behind.
A. by her hair B. on the hair C. by the hair D. on her hair
此题的正确答案是 C（ by the hair），表达汉语中拉、握、推、抓某人身体（或衣服）某个部位时，常用结构为take，hold，shake，etc．+ sb．+介词by+定冠词the，身体（或衣服）部位的名称。其中的定冠词不能用物主代词代替。因此，选项A、B、D均为错误选项，应予排除。如：
He came forward and shook me by the hand．他走上去，和我握手。
She seized the thief by the collar．她抓住小偷的衣领。
4.As I look back upon those years,I am struck by Annie’s wisdom.
We were struck by the professor's speech．教授的演讲给我们留下深刻印象。
Everyone was struck with its beauty．它的美丽给大家留下深刻印象。
How does the plan strike you？你对计划的印象如何？
―How does the plan ______ you?
A.move B.strike (答案B)
StepIV. Words in context
1. turn in / turn over / turn down / turn up / turn off / turn out / turn ... inside out
(1) Paddy McGowan applied for the job but they ______ him ______ because he didn’t speak German.
(2) The teachers have a busy time at the end of the school year; they have to _______ many reports.
(3) Jessie ______ her pocket ______ to show she hadn’t got any money on her.
(4) Be sure to _________ the lights when you leave the lab.
(5) Though it looked like rain in the morning, it has _______ to be a fine day.
(6) The child had been sleeping face down. His mother ______ him _______ and tucked up the sheets.
(7) I was expecting Johnny at 8:00 sharp, but he did not ______.
2. strike / look back on / reach out / burst into
(8) Louisa ________ her hands for the bouquet of flower I offered her.
(9) All sorts of opportunities will come your way, but you must ______ for them.
(10) When Nick failed to pass IELTS for a third time, he ______ tears like a child.
(11) I like to _________ my high-school days, which were among the happiest in my life.
(12) ―How does the plan ______ you?
3. hear / hear about / hear from / hear of
(13) ―Did you ______ the party last night?
―It was a complete failure.
(14) We always ________ planes being delayed because of technical faults or bad weather.
(15) Until we __________ head office we cannot give you a permit.
(16) ―Have you _____ Nylon?
―Yes. It’s some kind of synthetic fibre.
(17) They started out to cross the Sahara in a saloon car, and had not been ______ since.
(18) Andrew had _____ that they were going on an expedition to South Africa.
Keys: (1) turned, down (2) turn in (3) turned, inside out (4) turn off (5) turned out (6) turned, over (7) turn up (8) reached out (9) reach out (10 burst into (II) look back on (12) strike (13) hear about (14) hear about (15) hear from (16) heard of (17) heard of (18) heard
Recite the key 3 paragraphs and do dictation the next day.