1. Read about the great woman Helen Thayer.
2. Train the students’ abilities of reading.
3. Learn the subject –verb agreement.
Step 1 presentation
It is freezing cold in the North Pole and the South Pole. Few people, in the world have ever been there. However, there was a brave woman who had traveled alone to the North Pole and the South Pole. Do you know who she was? Right, Helen Thayer. She was the first woman who traveled alone there. Today we are going to read about the great woman the great woman, Helen Thayer.
Step 2 pre-reading
Get Ss to discuss the questions above the passage with their partners before reading the text.
Step 3 reading
Get Ss to read the passage fast and in silence.
Step 4 post reading
Ask the students to answer the questions given after reading.
Step 5 language study
1. Go through the passage together with the students and deal with the language points in it.
2. Dead with word study.
3. Learn grammar (the subject-Verb-agreement)
1. Write a summary of the text.
2. Do the exercises in Wb.
1. The teachers each _____ a computer (have, has)
2. The students ____ a Chinese- English dictionary. (Have, has)
3. Each of the students ____ a Chinese-English dictionary. (have, has)
4. ____ either of your parents written to you recently? (has, have)
5. Not only the father but also the children ____ sick.(are, is)
6. All the anxious to know the result of our English test.(are ,is)
7. All of the fruit ____ good. (taste, tastes)
8. Many a student _____ sure that our team will win.( is , are)
9. Six and six ___ twelve. (make, makes)
10. Everybody ___ what they have to do after the meeting. (knows, know)
11. The dollars ____ not enough for the ten –speed bicycle. (is ,are)
12. The rest of the speech ___ not very interesting. (sound ,sounds)
13. In that country the poor ___getting poorer and poorer .(is ,are)
14. She as well as her two sisters ____ music. ( like ,likes )
15. A professor with four children ____ in the lab this morning. (was, were)
16. The singer and dancer ___ come this afternoon. (has have)
17. The singer and dancer _____ going to give the performance this evening. (are ,is)
18. My family ____ not large.(is ,are)
19. My family all ____ music.(loves, love)
1. have 2. have 3. has 4. has 5. are 6. are 7. tastes 8. is 9. makes 10. knows 11. is 12. sounds 13. are 14. likes 15. was 16. has 17. are 18. is 19. love