1. To know something about New Zealand.
2. To train the abilities of skimming and scanning the text.
3. To study the language points in relation to the text.
Step 1 presentation
Today we are going to read about New Zealand, as we know, New Zealand is an island. Do you know where it is? Now, well look at the map and New Zealand and the seas surrounding it, (the Pacific and Tasman Sea)
Step 2 pre-reading
Get the students to look at the map of the world and write down the names of five islands and describe where they are. Then ask the students to compare the notes with the partners. At the end collect the answers from some of the students.
Step 3 skimming and scanning
Ask the students to read the text silently and fast to get general idea of each paragraph
Paragraph 1 geography
Paragraph 2; climate
Paragraph 3: natural resource
Paragraph 4 history
Step 4 listening
Play the tape recordings of the text for the students listen to. Ask them to pay attention to the pronunciation and intonation.
Step 5 analyze the text
Analyze t4eh text laying stress on the structure of some complex sentences and some important words and phrases.（参照轻松学习中的重难点解析）
Step 6 consolidation
Allow the students a few minutes to read the text aloud themselves. Ask them to give the summary of the text their own words.
Match the words with their meanings
1. mild A: make or become hot
2. heat B. about
3 surface C. make a home in
4. some D. possessing ; ownership
5. settle E. of a / the nation
6. sigh F. write one ‘s name on (a letter, document , ect.)
7. possession G. soft; gentle
8. national H. the outside of any object
1.G 2. A 3. H 4. B 5. C 6. F 7. D 8. E