文件 high1 unit21.doc
掌握本单元出现的单词和词组：meaning, woodcutter, homeland, master, freely, peasant, unit, progress, native, force, base, revolutionary, limited, rapid, article, praise, encourage, situation, spirit, translate, university, degree, communism, social, idiom, vocabulary, have a talk with, come across, cut up, before long, move on, keep on, make progress, translate…into…, 等等……
1. How are you getting on with your English lessons? 你的英语学得怎么样？
How are you getting on with…? 是一个常用的交际用语，用来询问对方的生活、学习、
How are you getting on with your experiment? 你的试验进展如何？
How is he getting on with his English studies? 他的英语学习进展如何？
He is getting on well with his studies. 他的学习进行的很顺利。
2. he was forced to leave his homeland for political reasons.
1) be forced to do sth. 作“被迫做某事”解。如用主动语态形式，则是“force sb. to do
You can’t force win to do it if he himself doesn’t want to.
He was forced to resign. 他是被迫辞职的。
We were force to put off the match to the next week because of the bad weather.
Don’t force him to do anything that he doesn’t want to.
2) for political reasons意为“由于政治的原因”，for =because of，for a certain reason(for
3. Before long he had to move on again.不久，他不得不再次迁移。
1) before long = soon作“不久”、“很快”解，既可与过去时，也可与将来时连用。
Don’t worry! I’ll come to see you before long (soon).别担心，我很快就会来看你的。
Before long he left Beijing for Shanghai with his parents.不久，他就和他父母离开北京去上
2) 句中的on是副词，同有些动词连用，表示这个动作继续下去的意思。如，work on
继续工作；walk on继续赶路；go on继续下去。
4. He went to England and made London the base for his revolutionary work.
We made him our monitor in our class last term.上学期，我们选他当我们班的班长。
5. He made such rapid progress that before long he began to write articles in English for an
American newspaper. 他进步得非常快，不久就开始用英文给一家美国报纸写文章了。
He is such a clever boy that everybody likes him.
He was such an honest man that he was praised by the teacher.
They are such interesting novels that I want to read them once again.
He has made such great progress that the teachers are pleased with him.
He had so many falls that he was black and blue all over.
He had so little education that he was unfit for this job.
There were so many people in the street watching the fire that firefighters could not get close to
6. In fact, his English is one of these articles was so good that Engels wrote him a letter and
praised him for it.
He runs so fast that nobody can catch up with him.
Dr. Wang is so good that everybody loves and respects him. (=He is so good a doctor that
everybody loves and respects him. =He is such a good doctor that everybody loves and respects him.)
7. However, he went on to explain that he was not too sure about two things―the grammar and
some of the idioms.
1) go on to do sth.意思是“（做完一件事后）接着做另外一件事”。而go on doing sth.则
After reading the text, we went on to do some grammar exercises.
Although it was raining hard, they still went on working in the field.
They went on to read the text, after they listened to the music.
2) be sure about／of…作“确信”、“有把握”解，后面跟名词，代词或动名词。例如：
Are you sure of his success?(=Are you sure that he will (succeed?) Yes, I’m quite sure of it.
I think the answer is right but I’m not absolutely sure about it.
I’m quite sure about／of his honesty. 我确信他是诚实的。
I’m not sure when I last saw her. 我不能确定上一次看见她是什么时候。
She was sure that she had done the right thing. 她确信自己做的对。
He is not sure whether they will come to see him. 他不能肯定他们是否会来看望他。
8. In the years that followed, Marx Kept on studying English and using it.
1) 句中的that followed是定语从句，修饰先行词the years关系代词在定语从句中作主语。
句中in the years that followed可改成in the following years或in the next few years. 意思大致相同。
2) keep on doing sth.作“继续做某事”解，（=go on doing sth.= continue to do sth.= continue
Although he was tired , he kept on working. 虽然他很累了，但他继续工作。
注意：keep on doing和keep doing的区别，前者强调“继续做某事”，而后者常表示连
He had a bad cold and kept coughing all day. 他患了重感冒，整天不停地咳嗽。
Be quiet: Don’t keep asking such silly questions. 安静点，不要老是问这么傻的问题。
9.In the 1870s, when Mark was already in his fifties, he found it important to study the situation in Russia. 在19世纪70年代，马克思已经50多岁了，他觉得研究俄国的形势很重要。
in one’s fifties指在某人50多岁时（50──59）。例如：
He became famous is his twenties. 他20多岁时就出名了。
When he was in his thirties, he went to the countryside and became a farmer.
The professor was an ordinary―looking little man is his sixties.
I think it necessary to go there. 我认为到那儿去一趟很有必要。
We find it impossible to finish the work in ten minutes.
He feels it his duty to help those who are in trouble.
10. In one of his books, Marx gave some advice on how to learn a foreign language.
advice是不可数名词，不能用复数形式。如果说一条建议，则用a piece of advice, 二条
建议，two pieces of advice。advice前常用的修饰词有some、any、much、pieces of等。例如：
They gave some advice on our work. 他对我们的工作提出了一些建议。
You’d better ask for the teacher’s advice on our English study.
You should follow／take your parents’ advice. 你应该听众你父母的劝告。
时间： 2008-08-03 栏目： 高一英语教案