The Phantom of the Opera
The Paris Opera House was built between 1861 and 1875., and it does have a lake of water underneath it.
The French writer Gaston Leroux wrote his novel The Phantom of the Opera in 1911. This story of a mad musical genius and an innocent girl became very popular, and has inspired at least four film versions. The excellent stage musical (music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Lyrics by Charles Hart) was first performed in London in 1986 and has now appeared in many other big cities.
Skimming and Scanning
Words and Expressions
1. phantom n.---a mysterious figure; a spirit 幽灵，鬼魂
a phantom ship
2. opera house n.--- a big theatre especially for opera, which is a form of art in which
there is a play but all the words are sun，not spoken 歌剧院
3. ugly adj.--- unpleasant to look at; extremely unattractive 丑陋 (anti. Beautiful)
(plain: female’s not good-looking face)
ugly smell/ sky/ duckling (丑小鸭)/ customer
4. mask n.---something which covers most of your face 面具
The robbers all wore masks so that no one could recognize them.
5. force v. ---make (someone do something, against their will) 迫使，强迫
force sb. to do sth. = force sb. into doing
force/ get/ expect/ want sb. to do sth.
make/ let/ have sb. do sth.
n．[U] by force凭暴力
the forces of a country； the air forces
the Royal Air Forces of Great Britain
6. Strong enough to kill with his hands, and yet he loved music and sang with a wonderful voice.
But/ and yet表示转折 He is old, and yet he he jogs every day.
Though he was strong enough to kill with his hands, he loves music and sang with a wonderful voice.
Unable to work out the problem, John turned to his teacher for help. (形容词短语作状语)
7. power: n. ability to control to control sb. or sth.
能力: the power of hearing/ to imitate human words
out of/beyond one’s power 力所不及
权利, 支配力: come into power执政; political power政权;
fight for powder争权; power politics
强国: Japan is among the great economic powers in the world.
有影响的人: He is a power in this town.
动力: electric power, water power
gain/ get/ lose power over
gain one’s respect/ wealth/ experience/
8. role n. a part in a play or film
Charles Liang played the role of Harmlet in our school play.
a leading role; the main role
n. play an important role in 起重要作用
The USA plays an important role in international relations.
9. Some place + be crowded with 挤满了……
crowd v. 涌入
When the opera ended, all the audience crowded into the street immediately.
crowd n. 人群 the crowd
a crowd waiting for the show
10. obey v.---do what someone ordered; follow instructions 服从，遵守
obey/ observe the traffic rules/ regulations
11. angel n. --- a messenger sent from God 天使
12. chandelier n.---a very big lamp, made of many pieces of glass to reflect the light 枝形吊灯
13. kidnap v. --- take someone as a prisoner by unlawful force and against one’s will
(usually to make other people pay money to have them released) 绑架，劫持
Three men kidnapped a millionaire’s son, and forced his father to pay them a lot of money.
14. capture v. ---catch; make (someone) a prisoner 捕获；浮虏
15. shock v.--- to cause usu. unpleasant or angry surprise to 使震惊
be shocked at: I was shocked at her death.
If you touch that live wire, you will get a shock.
n. [C] 休克, 震惊
The news of her mother’s death is a horrible shock to her.
16. lonely adj.---feeling sad because you are alone or have no close friends
cf. alone 寂寞的，孤独的
e.g. Though he lives alone, he doesn’t feel lonely.
17. release v.--- set free; allow sb. to go 释放 release sb. from …
release a man from prison
release a bomb
v. allow (news) to be known 发布新闻
allow (a film) to be exhibited or (goods) to be placed on sale
recently released films/ discs
18. magically adv.---in a strange way which we cannot explain 神奇地
magic n.& a. 魔法; 有魔力的(作定语)
magical a. 有魔力的(作定语或表语)
magician n. 魔术师
The magician pulled a white rabbit out of his hat magically.
19. burst v. ---break violently; move suddenly 冲，胀裂
Some of the crowd burst through the force and ran onto the football pitch.
burst into + n./burst out + gerund
burst into tears/ laughter (burst out crying/ laughing) (突然)哭了/笑了
burst into/ out of the room
burst in 插嘴 Don’t bet him burst in.
突然出现 He will be bursting in on us at any moment.
Language Points in Reading
1. Underneath the building there was a strange, dark lake. 倒装
2. In the middle of this lake was an island, and on that island, one hundred years ago, lived the phantom. 倒装
3. Strong enough to kill with his hands, and yet he loved music and sang with a wonderful voice.
4. By now, a group of other people had reached the Phantom’s house, and burst in, ready ot kill him.
Difficult Sentences in Reading
1. The Paris Opera House was a huge building, with seventeen floors, of which seven were below the ground.
of which seven were below the ground 非限制性定语从句 which指代seventeen floors
2. sing with a wonderful voice 用完美的嗓音唱
3. Christine’s kiss made him cry with joy. Christine的吻令他喜极而泣
1. 完全倒装 （complete inversion）
e.g. Here comes the bus.
“ …” said John. = he said.
On the stair lay a bottle of aspirins.
2. 部分倒装 (partial inversion)
e.g. Will you go with me?
Only in this way can we learn English well.
1. 疑问句 ( partial inversion)
e.g. Has he seen John? But: I wondered whether he’d seen John. 间接疑问
2. 虚拟条件状语从句 (partial inversion)
e.g. If I were you→ Were I you (present)
Had I known what was going to happen, I would never have left her alone.
(=If I had known) (past)
Should he come tomorrow, he would help us with our work. (future)
(=If he should come tomorrow)
3. 在地点状语之后 (常跟come, lie, stand, walk, live, …) (complete inversion)
e.g. On the floor lay a bottle of aspirins.
In front of the hall stood a girl, waving to us.
*On our way home, we saw a big hall, in front of which stood a girl.
Round the corner walked a large policeman.
4. 在以here, there或out, in, up, down, away, back, then, now等副词打头的句子里 (complete inversion)
e.g. There come, be, lie, happen, appear, seem, stand, exist…
e.g. Here is a ticket for you.
Now comes your turn to recite the text.
Out rushed the student.
Here you are. There she comes.
5. 在so, nor, neither放在句首的句子中 (partial inversion)
e.g.. He has finished his work. So have I.
He can’t operate the recorder. Nor can I. (= I can not either)
She takes an active par in labour. So does everyone of us.
She doesn’t know it, nor does she care. (= she doesn’t care, either)
But: “ I think we should go and check in at the hotel now,” my dad said, and so we did.
She works hard at English. So she does.
“ That’s Isabel, look!” “So it is!”
6. 在Only所修饰地副词,介词短语或状语从句放在句首的句子中 (partial inversion)
e.g. Only then did I realize what had happened.
Only after a year did I begin to see the results of my work.
Only when the war was over was he able to go to university.
But: Only you can solve the problem.
And: not only… but also后
e.g. Not only does he study hard, but also he is active in all kinds of activities.
7. 在以not only, never, seldom, rarely, little, nowhere, by no means, not until, no, not
hardly (scarcely)…when, no sooner… than等表示否定意义的副词获词组开头的句子中
1) 频率副词 (never, seldom, rarely, always, often)
e.g. Never have I read such a good book.
Seldom has he met us lately.
2) no sooner (past perfect)… than (past), hardly (scarcely)… when表示意见使紧接着另一件事发生
e.g. No sooner had she fallen asleep than someone knock at the door.
( = She had no sooner fallen asleep than someone knock at the door.)
Hardly had she fallen asleep when someone woke her up.
( = She had hardly fallen…)
Scarcely had we started lunch when the doorbell rang.
e.g. Not until Mr. Smith came to China, did he know what kind of a country she is. (主句倒装)
Not until midnight did he solve the problem.
Little do they know about it.
e.g. At no time was the teacher aware of what was happening.
(= The teacher was at no time aware of what was happening.)
(= The teacher was not aware of what was happening at any time.)
Under no circumstances and customers’ money be refunded.
In no way can Mrs. Smith be held responsible.
On no account are visitors allowed to feed the animals.
8. 强调表语 Such (complete inversion)
e.g. Such were the viewpoints of the students.
(= The viewpoints of the students were such.)
Such would be our home in the future.
(= Our home in the future would be such)
9. So (… that) 位于句首 (partial inversion)
e.g. So hard does he work he has no time for amusement.
10. 在as, no matter how, however等让步状语从句中 主谓不倒装
e.g. Busy as he was, he always found time to study.
However rich people are, they always want more. ( No matter how rich people are, …)
e.g. Long live Chairman Mao!
May you succeed!
More language Input
1. The Blue Danube: a famous waltz, created by a famous Austrian composer, Johann
2. create v.---cause to exist; produce 创造，创作
creation n. 创造 creative a 有创造力的
3. composer n.--- a person who creates a piece of music 作曲家
4. design v. --- make plans, drawings or models of it 设计
designer n. 设计师
5. support v. --- to bear the weight of 支撑
e.g. Do you think those shelves can support so many books?
v. --- to provide esp. money for (a person) to live on 供养
e.g. Her father supported her until she got married.
v. --- to approve of and encourage 支持
e.g. Do you support their demands for independence?
n.--- active approval aimed at helping the success of sth. 支持
e.g. The local people have given us a lot of support in our campaign.
6. decorate v.---paint sth. to make it more beautiful 装饰
7. magical a.--- being wonderful and charming 有魔力的，有魅力的
Language Points in More Language Input
1. You might know that The Blue Danube waltz is a very popular piece of music, created by the famous Austrian composer, Johann Strauss.
2. It is decorated with patterns of piano keys in black and white, and a very interesting painting of an ear and an eye.
3. the magical effects its light creates on the lobby
Difficult Sentences in More Language Input
1. A huge and unusual crystal chandelier will immediately catch your eye.
在此处eye作不可数名词, 解释为目光, 顾不加 s
2. Think how bright it is when it is switched on!
3. It lights up the lobby of the theatre and throws light onto its floor, which is as unusual as the chandelier itself.
牛津英语高一（上） chapter one
时间： 2008-08-03 栏目： 高一英语教案