1. Study the second part of the text.
2. Write a passage about Karl Marx using the information given.
Step 1 Pre-read
Today we are going to read more about the life and work of Karl Marx. Now read the passage and find the answer to this question:
What did Marx write together with Engles during the 1840s? (The Communist Manifesto)
Step 2 Listening
Listen to the tape for the students to listen and follow.
Step 3 Summary the main idea
Ask the students to find out the main ideas of each part of the text.
( Paragraph 1) Brief introduction to Karl Marx before die year 1849, in which year he made London the base for his revolutionary work.
( Paragraphs 2-6) Marx s success in learning English and Russian and his advice on how to learn a foreign language.
(Paragraphs 7-9) Marx and Engels started a new programme called “Communism”.
Deal with the language prints.
Step 4 Practise
Ask the students to make a short passage according to the chart below, and then let them read their own passage.
Timeline for Karl Marx
was born in Germany
as a young man
was forced to leave his homeland for political reasons; went to Belgium and France.
in April 1841
received his doctor’s degree
went to England; made London the base for his revolutionary work
started working hard to improve his English; made rapid progress
wrote articles in English; was praised; was encouraged; was not sure about two things
kept on studying and using English
in the 1870s
began to learn Russian; read articles and reports in Russian
Step 5 Workbook
Finish the workbook exercises Lesson 83.
Step 6 Exercise
1. She has an uncle, whom she ________ since childhood.
A. had not seen B. did not see C. has not seen
2. When I was six, I _________ in a school in a lonely mountain village.
A. studied B. had studied C. have studied
3. I will ask her for the book now, for she ________ plenty of time to read it since I lent it to her.
A.has had B. has C. had had
4. She said that she ________ the colour TV set for five years.
A. has bought B. had bought C. has had
5. As soon as I came in, the lights _________ all at once.
A. was going out B. has gone out C. went out
6. We _________ the work by six yesterday evening.
A. finished B. would finish C. had finished
7. She said her mother _________ for three years.
A. has been dead B. has died C. had been dead
8. When I got to the theatre, the play _________.
A. had begun B. began C. is beginning
9. ―How long _________ each other before they ________ married? ―For about a year.
A. have they known; get
B. did they know; were going to get
C. had they known; got
10. She was so interested in the book that she _________ it for three hours before she realized it.
A. read B. had read C. was reading
Keys: 1 -5CACBC 6-10 CCACB