Period: The First Period
Properties: Recorder, Overhead projector
1. Knowledge Aims
(1) Let the students understand “have to” and grasp how to use it.
(2) Learn some useful phrases and structures.
2. Ability Aim
The students can make some sentences with “have to” in their own words.
3. Emotion Aim
Know some good behaviour and strengthen the training of one's own quality.
Language Procedures: What’s the trouble? What’s the matter with you? have a headache, take one’s temperature, nothing serious, take this medicine three times a day, feel like eating, have (got) a pain in one’s head
a) Organizing the class
T: Ask the students to get ready for the class.
Greetings and a duty report.
1. Get the students to act out the passage in Lesson 68.
2. A quiz for them:
have a good time, at the head of, in fact, look after, get on, stand in line, quarrel with, make a noise, laugh at, throw about, get off, feel well, grow up, telephone sb.
T: When you feel bad or sick, you had better go to the hospital, and doctors will help you. Then the doctor will ask you some questions about illness and let you take your temperature, at last ask you to take some medicine if your illness is not too serious.
T: Jill didn’t feel very well. She began to cough. Her mother asked her what was the matter. She told her mother she had a headache and a cough. Her mother could see how terrible the cough was. So she took her daughter to see a doctor at once.（可把图画出来）
T: Look at the picture. Try to guess what they are talking about.
1. Listening: Listen to the tape and try to understand it.
2. Reading: Read the dialogue after the tape, then read together. Try to memorize it.
3. Practising: Work in pairs.
4. Acting: Ask some pairs to come to the front and act it out.
f) Teaching dialogue
T: Let’s do Exercise Two, Puzzle dialogue.
The students can discuss the answers each other.
Then check their keys.
g) Teaching Language Points
1. What’s the trouble? ＝What’s the matter (with sb.)? ＝What’s wrong?
A: What’s the trouble?
B: I don’t feel well today.
2. have a headache
I have got a bad headache.
Did Peter have a headache yesterday morning?
3. take one’s temperature
Did you take your temperature yesterday?
Why did the doctor take his temperature twice?
4. three times a day
You must take this medicine three times a day.
He listens to the English news twice a day.
5. feel like eating
Do you feel like a cup of coffee?
I don’t feel like singing now.
h) Learning grammar
T: “have to” 意为“不得不”，表示客观上“必须”,“must” 指主观上“必须”。他们后都接动词原形，但“must”没有人称和时态的变化，而have to有人称和时态的变化。
1. I have to sweep the floor every day.
2. He has to go to evening classes on Friday afternoon.
3. Did she have to go back home yesterday?
i) Exercises in class
Translate the following sentences into English.
1. We have to do it ourselves.
2. Does Mary have to study hard at English?
3. He had to get up early last Sunday.
4. You don’t have to worry about your lessons.
5. Peter was very tired and he had to sit down and have a rest.
1. Read the dialogue and try to make a new one.
2. Make sentences using “have to”.
3. Do exercises on page 79.