――The second period of Unit 13
I. Teaching Aims:
i. Enable them to catch the gist of the story about Abraham Lincoln
ii. To learn the writing ― in time order
iii. To learn to retell the passage with their own words
iv. To master the useful expressions
1.Writing skill――in time order
2. Oral composition based on the main expressions
Tape-recorder apparatus slide
1. Check up the HW
2. Get them to tell the stories according to the pictures given in the last period
Step2.Preparation for reading
1. SB L50 Part1,Give a brief introduction to the life of Abraham Lincoln:
T: Today we’re going to read about Abraham Lincoln. He was the Presidont of the USA from 1860~1865. He came from Kentucky, When he was young, he studied law and be came a lawyer. Later he became president .During his times over the country, there was a civil war between the Northern and Southern states. Lincoln was a great president, So he is still remembered today.
2.Dismiss the blocks which will hinder their understanding
a. as a child ――As/when he was a child
b. no more than――only
c. in all――in total ..altogether
d. set up――start/found
e. break out――(war, fire ,etc )appear,..start suddenly
f. break away from――go away from
g. consider……as ……regard …a /look on ……as.think of as
1. Skimming Try to find the general idea of the material.
Ask them to find the answers to the question on top of P50
Try to locate specific information
Answer the questions on P118, write what happened in the following years according to the text.
1. Speech cassette Lesson50, play the tape and Listen.
2. While listening, they do part2 on P118
3. Check up the answers
1. Do part3,On P118, It’s a summary of the story of Lincoln, it will help them retell the text.
2. Write the following clue words on the Bb for the Ss to refer to: be bornin a poor family used to work little school cducation study law be against slavery the civil war break out be shot to death consider…as
3. First get them to do it alone.Then divide the class into groups. Let them to tell the story one by one.
1. Go over the explanation of the words and expressions in this lesson.
2. Dn part2 On P119
1. Retell the story about Abrabam Lincoln.
2. Make sentences with the expressions on Slide3.
No more than, jonin up, break away from , consider as , spare time, beat…to death, sef…free, break out
V. Writing on the Bb
1818 his mother dide
1818-1860 working in a store, then as a lawyer
1864 president again
1865 shot dead