Period: The Third Period
Properties: Tape-recorder, Overhead projector
1. Knowledge aim
Grasp the language points and grammar: modal verbs.
2. Ability aim
Ask the students to talk about holiday plans in group.
1. Vocabularies: hometown, visit＝go to see, super＝excellent/splendid, have a wonderful time, be late for, instead
2. Grammar: will, modal verbs＋v.原形
a) Organizing the class
1. Ask the students to get ready for class.
2. Greetings between the teacher and the students.
3. A duty report.
1. Ask 2―3 students to retell Ling Feng’s diary.
2. Dictate language points learned in the last period.
1. Say to the students: “The May 1st holiday is coming. Do you have any plans for the holiday?”
2. Ask the students to work in groups and discuss their plans for the holiday.
3. Call out several groups to say their holiday plans.
4. Lead the students to Emma’s and Hu Xin’s holiday plans.
d) Teaching Dialogue
1. Before listening:
Before playing the tape for the students to listen, ask the students to find out the answer to the question: What are Emma and Hu Xin going to do in their summer holiday?
2. After listening:
Ask the students to answer the question and ask more questions:
(1) When will the summer holidays begin?
(2) Where’s Hu Xin’s hometown? Why will she go there?
(3) Where is Emma going in the holidays?
3. Ask the students to work in pairs and make similar dialogue about holiday plans.
e) Puzzle dialogue
1. Ask the students to finish the puzzle dialogues exercises by themselves.
2. Check the answers: Boys read Column A and girls read Column B.
3. Teaching language points.
(1) be late for
He’s often late to school.
Don’t be late for the important meeting.
(2) instead 代替、顶替，表示前面的事情没做，而是做了后面的事情。
He didn’t answer me. Instead, he asked me another question.
If Harry isn’t well enough to go with you, take me instead.
(3) will, modal verbs (may, should, must, can以及否定)+动词原形
4. Ask the students to talk about the things they can do and can’t do in the box in Exercise 3 on page 93.
1. Finish exercises on page 93.
2. Make a dialogue about holiday plans.
1. My mother is ill, so I ___ look after her at home and ___ (not) go to the evening party.
2. You ___ (not) play on the road. It’s too dangerous.
3. Li Ming is late today. He ___ be ill, but I’m not sure.
Keys: 1. have to, can’t 2. mustn’t 3. may